What is an eSignature?
According to the US Federal ESIGN act, an eSig can be "an electronic sound, symbol or process that is attached to or logically associated with a contract or other record and executed or adopted by a person with the intent to sign the record". In plain English, when a person agrees to accept what you have presented to them they can show their agreement by checking a box, typing their name, inserting an image or even inserting a recording stating their agreement. The wording of the act allows for a variety of ways to verify an agreement to be obtained electronically giving your business the freedom to secure the type of signature you need from the standard NDA or waiver to a binding contract.
Why use Greetly's eSignature feature? To automatically capture legal doc signatures, like NDAs, waivers and COVID-19-related questions.
Signature Legal Requirements
In order for an eSignature to be legally binding, it must meet five criteria laid out in the ESIGN Act and the Uniform Electronic Transactions Act (UETA).
- Intent to sign - The user must have the option to decline the signature request.
- Consent to do business electronically - The user must agree to do business electronically prior to signing. Most signature software will prompt the user to agree prior to signing.
- Clear attribution of signature - Attribution can be traced from the signer's email ID to the device IP address to the signature timestamp.
- Association of the signature with the record - The signature must be connected to the document. A signature cannot be obtained separately.
- Record retention - You must be able to produce the signed copy as if it were a printed signature. Most esignature software will provide the company with a fully-executed signed copy or the option to download a copy for their records.
Which eSignature app should you use?
We recently wrote about which eSignature app is best for your organization. The primary considerations are:
- Where you collect eSignatures - in-person (for example, as part of your event registration or meeting check-in app) or strictly remote
- How many digital signatures you wish to capture
How to turn on eSignature and add/edit your legal document:
Click on "Check-in Options.
Click on "Visit Employee" button and scroll down to the bottom of the page and toggle on "Do you want to require a signature from the visitor" and then scroll to the top and click on "Publish".
Make sure Visit Employee/Member button is turned on. Then click on the "Edit Button Options" tab.
Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and turn on "Do you want to require a signature from the visitor?"
Click on "Customize Agreement".
Now, you can either keep the customized "CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT" that will be displayed or copy and paste your own inside the box.
Hit the "Publish" button.
And you're done!